The skin significantly influences our
appearance and protects our body from any environmental influences. It has
regulating properties with regard to body temperature and water content, and
performs exchange and transport functions.
Especially the outer layer of the
epidermis, the stratum corneum, and the associated barrier function provides
- Moisture loss: via the lipid/protein
structure of the skin barrier (stratum corneum).
- The penetration of toxic substances is
slowed down or prevented by the barrier function.
- Pathogens: we need protection against
pathogens all around us, the so-called pathogenic bacteria.
- UV radiation: the thicker the stratum
corneum, the more pronounced the protection factor. UV radiation creates free
radicals, which cause direct damage to our DNA, lipids and proteins.
- Injuries: the different types of skin
sensitivity determine how the skin reacts to stimuli. Not every skin type is